Monday, January 14, 2008

An info bomb for your Monday

This installation piece in Union Square. The numbers roll around and nobody knows what it means. I usually google stuff like this, like I did with the names and dates engraved into the sidewalks on Broadway in the Financial District. Apparently those are the people they have thrown ticker-tape parades for - including Pétain. I guess you have to give them credit for not being revisionist.

Anyway, I found out about the "Metronome" in Union Square from a hobo. He said he figured it out over the course of sleeping in the park for two years. I thought he might be lying about that part but it turns out not because according to the artists' website he's a little bit wrong. He was right about the numbers, though: they count up to midnight on the left - using the 24 hour clock - and down to midnight on the right (reading, two by two, towards the centre on that side).

No comments: