Friday, March 28, 2008

Here for the taking, and giving

Sometimes I come across some really random obscure thing that I just have to have, like a present for friend's birthday that they probably only made a few hundred copies of (dirty phonograph recordings from the 1890s for his research on humour and transgression), and I wonder how the hell I am going to get my hands on it, especially now that it is Friday afternoon and his birthday is tomorrow. And then I have the thought, "Wait a minute, this is the big fat apple. If I was elsewhere, I would come here to find this thing, because how could New York not have a copy?" And after an hour of googling and phone calling and waiting on hold, I track it down and hop on the train and pick it up.

This via this via this

1 comment:

Phil said...

Man, it's like you're in the centre of in the universe. Or maybe it's like you can get to the whole universe by train.