Thursday, March 01, 2007

Toasted Cocoa Madeleine Clusters

Grace and I had a beer tonight at the cutest, most elegant little candle-lit bistro bar in the West Village. And they were playing Frank. Sigh. Then we drank espresso and read.

If any of you see me slacking off in the next few weeks, kick my ass back to work, because a maelstrom of academic fury is about to rain down on my complacent self. Madame Kristeva returns next week, with a 7-book syllabus we are supposed to have read before she arrives don't waste this woman's time, I have a ten-page paper to write and present for Gadamer on March 15, the same day a ten-page paper is due in Spinoza, and any minute now I may get an email from those journal editors to whom I am overdue with a book review. Plus two reading groups, logic tutoring, bla bla bla.

What on earth have I been doing with my time, you ask? Well, I've been buying a lot of cereal lately, especially since friend reminded me, Proust-like, of the teenage indulgence that is eating a giant pastabowl of it in the evening when it's totally not even breakfast time. I've been revisiting all of my favourite kinds too, like the little wheats with cinnamon frosting on one side (that's the side you want to be face-down when you eat it. Sometimes you have to spend a long time bobbing them around in the bowl. This gets harder as you run out of milk), and Cinnamon Toast Crunch - did you know Cinnamon Toast Crunch is now whole wheat and has SEVENTY-FIVE PERCENT less sugar? Jesus, that is (was) a lot of sugar. You can't even tell, though you can tell about the whole wheat. Thumbs down on that. I'm now on to Golden Grahams, which sog really effing fast. I mean, I like my cereal to be a little mollified by the milk, but these things peak after about 10 seconds.

I've also been coming up with new things to blog about every day.

2 comments:

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

I love the "normal" every day posts. Because your normal every day is WAY more interesting than mine, generally. Probably not today...but generally. Today I had a knock on my door from 3 grade 5 girls who I did not know and they wanted to "come in and visit." No kidding. They just knocked on the door and wanted to come in. And wouldn't take no for an answer. I pretty much had to shut and lock the door in their faces. Such is life in the big city.

P.S. You must explore the whole Cocoa Puffs, Count Chocula, Chocolate coated cereal line. Did you know that cocoa puffs are the same amount of Weight Watchers points as cheerios?

M said...

That's incredible, actually. Speaking of which, everyone thinks granola is so good for you, but it's total calorie city.

How come you didn't let the gals in?