Monday, March 05, 2007

The Brooklyn Bridge

Friend and I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge the other day, because everyone I know in New York has caught this same PBS documentary about it at some point in the past few weeks, and all of those people have told me in turn about how it was designed by a student of Hegel's! (some philosophy guy), and he like, died and his son took over the project, but then he got the bends, and there was a car crash, and something about faulty coil, and many other interesting facts as well.

So I went with the first person to tell me. It was a phenomenally warm and sunny day [wink], and we avoided the usual brisk wind off the East River. In fact, the nice weather brought out all kinds of tourists and couples and stroller-moms, ambling slowly from one borough to the other, pausing to take snapshots of the urban skyline or to read the descriptive plaques, and interrupted only occasionally by type-A trader weekend warrior assholes riding by on their $2000 bikes with their $400 biking leotards screaming "BIKE PATH!!! CLEAR THE LANE!!! BIKE PAAAATH!!! BIKE PAAAaaath!"

Then we went and visited Grace at her Brooklyn market and ate croissants and doughnuts and I got free stromboli and cheesecake to take home (thanks, lady!).

1 comment:

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

You know the darn food stories are killing me, right?!?