Saturday, March 10, 2007

Yup

One night last week a bunch of us went to Kristeva's public lecture uptown at the Low Library at Columbia University. We pulled up in a shiny black cadillac, since we had taken the wrong train uptown, and had to use a car service to get across to the West side (it pulled over for us three white kids on Malcolm X Blvd without us even having to hail it). My friends and I were all from Kristeva's class, and when we arrived, she singled us out from the crowd of ivy league faculty and students to give us a warm, enthusiastic two-handed handshake and thank us for coming.

Afterwards, we went for dinner at a Paris-in-New York resto called Le Monde. I had the salade de crevettes, and Grace had the moules frites, and we lingered over Stellas and espresso and the best dessert menu I've seen in ages and I turned to Grace and said, "Yeah, when I decided to come to New York to do my PhD, this is pretty much what I imagined."

Now back below 14th street with you.

No comments: