Wednesday, March 28, 2007

On wingless pigeons

Before I moved to New York, I asked anyone I ran into who had lived here - because this was my main concern about housing - whether they thought I would have to deal with rats where I lived. Rats or cockroaches. I figured there weren't any in those pre-war apartments on the Upper East Side, but in a student dorm downtown, you know, I thought it might be an issue. So I would ask this, and they would always laugh and condescend and say, "You're so cute." And I would say, "No really, I'm honestly asking, because I don't know." And they would laugh again and smile and pat me on the head. And I would say "So will I?" And they would say "I dunno."

Well, the other day I watched a gaggle of my male neighbours in the dorm try to catch a rat (probably just a mouse, actually), with, let's see, there was a broom, a tupperware container, some books, a bottle of whiskey... They eventually got a sheet of that mousetrap sticky paper, and the next morning found the ratmouse on it. The sticky paper doesn't kill it, of course, just traps it. None of them wanted to kill it, so eventually one of them just threw it out the window.

5 comments:

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

New York dorms...where men are men. Or at least they pose as them.

Christian said...

You can't just throw them out or they find their way back inside again. You have to politely ask them not to come back.

M said...

No, their feet are *glued* to a piece of paper. They're not coming back.

Anonymous said...

Oh please. Like they don't know about GooGone. These are New York rats.
Mom

M said...

Actually, they just call their Korean pedicurist.