Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Excuse me

Hey, I've finally put my finger on that what I've been trying to describe to all of you about how people relate to each other in New York. Here it is: in most places, if you were to ask a person a question or talk to them for whatever reason, you would need to preface that with an "excuse me" - you would need to break into their little personal privacy sphere, and apologize for doing so, before getting to the point. Here, if someone wants to say something (e.g. "Are they allowed to jackhammer like that at one in the fucking morning?" or "Is this train running local?"), they just come right out with it. Because we all already know that each other is there.

Exception: hobos still deferentially use the "excuse me" before asking you for money. Like the guy who solicited some change from me in the subway station the other day, and when I turned him down, looked directly at my Dragonfruit vitaminWater.

3 comments:

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

You're "rich" because you have vitamin water and change for the subway...and he was probably pissed you wouldn't give it to him. I'm "rich" because I have teeth, shoes and hair. And they are pissed when I won't give them $30 to shovel my 2 feet of walkway. Standard question "Shovel walk for 30 bucks, eh?" Standard answer "No. Get the fuck off my property" There is no such thing as please and thank-you here. Just fuck and eh. And it's completely polite and acceptable.

P.S. I'm really liking the whole blogging thing!

M said...

HARRAHAAHHAWHAAHAHHRHAAR!!! Holy crap, you are funny...

You're gonna love the next post, then.

Christian said...

Holy shit is that funny. I can't stop giggling. cj;c nal;cnvwa I can't even finish this post, I have tears.