Saturday, February 03, 2007

Apparently I'm the only decent cook around here

Went to Little Italy with some girlfriends on Friday and had dinner in one of the many restaurants on Mulberry, then went up the street for cannoli and coffee. Conversation was great but gastronomically the evening sucked, sucked, sucked. Thanks a lot I only have so many meals in my life, jerks! The funny thing is, the neighbourhood and restaurant seem to be full of Italians. The server was old-country Italian, and halfway through our meal an Italian wandering brass band came in and serenaded us all. But the sauce on my ravioli was a can of tomatoes nuked with provolone, and the cannoli, and my friend put it, was "grocery store quality."

This afternoon I went to Trader Joe's, like a non-day-of-the-week-minding fool. The lineup wended (went?) its way around the entire store - you couldn't even get to the items on the shelves for the wall of iPod listening, cell phone texting, puffy jacket wearing hipsters waiting to check out. Haha I am one of them. Anyway, Trader Joe's is wonderfully indulgent, like most Manhattan grocery stores (there's sushi and frozen hors d'oeuvres and fresh pasta, but no like, flour or vegetable oil or sugar. Substitute: white truffle oil and a small shaker of organic cane sugar) - except it's cheap. (Incidentally, helped some neighbours polish off 5 bottles of Trader Joe's wine on Saturday night - aka $16 dollars worth.)

This evening I went to my first ever Superbowl party. I brought crab cakes. People made fun of me - THROUGH THEIR REALLY FULL MOUTHS. And I don't know whether the same commercials are shown in Canada, but did you see the one with the GM robot that gets laid off and then can only find menial non-unionized service jobs and feels so dejected that he decides to jump off a bridge? Man, was that funny! Bwhahahahaahahaha!

1 comment:

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

Overall, I was a little disappointed with the Superbowl commercials (I'm one of the geeks who watches ONLY the commercials) but that one was HILARIOUS! I fully spport your Bwhahahahaahahaha!

Oh queen of blogging...how do I put links and stuff on my own blog? And is there any way I can make it more secure? Currently I have it set so only invited users can view it. Can I do anything else? Have a great day!