Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Your name in lights

Grace runs, and I participate in, a philosophy graduate student group called People in Support of Women in Philosophy (anagram pronounced: pussywhip), basically in response to the underrepresentation of chicks in the field. The group (ok, it's actually pronounced P-SWIP) decided to host a public talk by some well-known female academic, so as to raise our profile and whatnot, and we got a rather big deal from Yale to come down and speak about human rights. And we had decided to have two members of PSWIP deliver responses, prepared beforehand. This ended up being Grace and me (swear to god, there are actually other members of this thing). Anyhow, this resulted in my name being on a poster alongside Big-Deal-from-Yale's for about a week around campus, and then me actually saying some cool shit to her in front of an pretty big audience. Bully for women in philosophy everywhere (but mostly for me and Grace).

No comments: