Monday, February 25, 2008

It is funny because it is true

I never had a laugh-out-loud appreciation for those Flight of the Conchord guys, until last week when twice I saw hobos laying on the ground perhaps dead. One was flat out on his back in Union Square station, a chubby cop standing over him awkwardly, holding a radio, waiting for backup. The other was on the sidewalk at Union Square West, in a fetal position, with several people standing nearby, waiting for something to happen. Now I can't stop thinking about that lyric.

And yes, I will see you in hell.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can someone please remove these cutleries from my knees? Hhahahaa, nice one lady.

M said...

Yeah - and, it rhymes. Twice.

Kate and/or Mike said...

Although Charlotte and I managed to catch that crazy commercial (that you posted) on the last possible day, this video was used as a commercial which just totally mesmerized me. After the "jibjab" bit, they took the first 30 seconds of footage to rap for a presidents' day car commercial, or something. Every time I saw it, my brain would become addled trying to put founding father cutouts, rap, and forefront attitude arms together. Does it befuddle anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8U4T1IH1C8

M said...

And you know what? I never noticed it. Even after you would point it out, it wouldn't really register. I guess I am reggaeton not rap. Must be my ska roots.

So funny that you have your own mesmerizing New York commercial.

Kate and/or Mike said...

I think my favourite part might be when the background crowd throws up their arms for the "hey" - "ho." But those damn forefront arms are mesmerizing. Actually, it's a pretty clever song. (The original, not the commercial).

Phil said...

I love those guys. When I saw their pilot I thought "man, you know, these great songs are actually pretty funny!" Because I didn't know they were a comedy band.

Die-hard fans of the show may be impressed by this blurry, barely recognizable picture of me with Eugene Mirman.