Friday, February 22, 2008

I'm an idiot

I always buy a montly metro pass, and the way the MTA prevents scams is that once you swipe it, it won't work again for 18 minutes. Which is why the scammers trying to ride for free always ask the people exiting the subway for a swipe. I always do it, and I'm not entirely sure how verboten it really is (there are warnings on the train not to sell a swipe, but nothing about giving one away for free). Anyway, it happened again this morning as I was arriving for work, this young guy (hot) asked, and as usual I looked all around to make sure there were no MTA employees watching, and then let him in. And as I headed on my way, a woman said, "Ma'am, you dropped something"—a post-it with an address on it had fallen out when I had taken my metro card out. The woman was dressed in a maroon MTA uniform.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Eeee! You must have been scared! I take it you didn't get busted?

Not Available said...

Trust me, I am a much bigger idiot.

And like you said, there are no warnings about giving swipes away for free.

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's wrong to give away swipes, but it's wrong to sell them. You're in the clear darlin'. Charity ain't illegal just yet!

R. Peeps said...

i've never actually been approached for a swipe as i left a station. there's a real differential that exists between the sexes in this city...overt and otherwise.
somehow i feel cheated by not being preyed upon.

lisa said...

I haven't been asked for a swipe either. I wonder what the difference is.