Thursday, May 31, 2007

You have no idea, people

No idea.

That place I had? I was thinking something along the lines of that scene in Coming to America where Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall move into that shithole in Queens, with the guys out front warming their hands around a fire in an oil barrell, and the apartment has missing plaster exposing raw wood, and cockroaches and a brown stained sink and a door that doesn't lock. I was thinking that, and then I was thinking of the scene in Coming to America where Eddie Murphy comes home and Arsenio Hall has tricked out that apartment with a Jacuzzi and neon lighting and a mini bar.

Yeah, well. Ain't happening. I have come crawling back to Craigslist. And I can tell you, just when you think you've swallowed every last compromise, in terms of nearby transportation and full kitchen and on-site laundry and closet space and windows and not a fifth-floor walkup, NY real estate laughs in your face, doubles the rent, and asks for a 15% broker's fee.

I shit you not, I saw a place today about 300 sq ft with NO KITCHEN SINK and it wanted a $7000 broker's fee.

2 comments:

Kate and/or Mike said...

Go for the 5th floor walk-up. Once you get your furniture in, there'll be more benefit than downfall. Take it from someone who lives on a 4th floor walk-up. I see little old French ladies dragging their groceries up this very steep part of our hill and you can easily see they're not going to kick it anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

I guess I won't piss and moan that my property taxes will almost double in the next year and a half...