Sunday, January 25, 2009

Guest Post: The Secretary

Hi lady, I wanted to send you this because it is so new yorky and lovely. I got in the G train this afternoon to go pick up a 'secretary' desk I'd found on craigslist. It was way out in flushing, queens and I wasn't going to go, but then figured it would be a good way to procrastinate, and I do need a desk since I'm a grad student, right? And I had bargained the price down to 50$ from 125$. I'm good.

G all the way to court square, then the E across into flushing. it took an hour, no biggie. then got a car service at the E stop, went to the house, met the sweet lady and her mom living in a tiny apartment together, lugged the damn desk out to the cab whose driver wasn't going to have anything to do with it, went back inside for the drawers, then out to the cab and back home. the driver did such a shitty job tying down the trunk that he insisted that he drive slow to avoid the trunk lid banging down on the legs of the desk. Okay fine. But I looked around us on the BQE and cars and trucks were passing us like mad, EVERYONE was honking at us and it was getting unbearable. He was driving 25 mph on the goddamn highway. It was insane, and probably very dangerous. He asked my how old I was and whether or not I was married. He was old and married.

The desk is awesome.

Here's the email I got from the lovely lady I bought the desk from - this is the new yorky lovely bit: (oh and read the earlier email too where she uses the term 'nosy-body').
xo
g





2 comments:

Chris said...

That's fucking fantastic.

Unknown said...

I know right? And the desk smells like old lady perfume.