Tuesday, May 06, 2008

20 months

It's happened again! Now my replacement coffee guy has been replaced. I don't know about how transient/transitive coffee cart ownership is, but just when CoffeeGuy_2 was starting to give me the occasional freebie, I now have to get to know a-whole-nother guy.

That is what I want most: to interpolate myself into this city. To have a coffee guy, shoe jew, a bodega clerk I know by name, and who know my name. Or I know them by shift and they know me by coffee preference, or cigarette brand. That is how I interpret the Frank Sinatra line about "making it here:" installing little familiarities in a city that functions on anonymity.

2 comments:

miss suzanne said...

i walked past this bodega on my way to a bar tonight and it really weirded me out to see it suddenly appear in my field of vision....

M said...

That's funny, because I just stole that picture at random from the internet.