Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Krolewskie Jadlo


The other day in the Polish restaurant, I got a Polish menu instead of an English one (btw, you have to go to this place - two mediaeval knights' armour suits standing guard outside the door and $8.00 for plate with pierogies, kielbassa, cabbage rolls and potato pancakes, with beet salad, cabbage salad and two cold water pickles). And today in the grocery store a woman started trying to ask me about the price of garlic in Polish. Oh, and when I went to the bakery the woman tried to serve me in Polish.

I mean, sure I *am* Polish - in that Western Ukraine sort of way - but come on now. Am I that moon-faced? Am I that cankled?

P.S. If that seems evil, I just found their website for this pic, and the front page includes the line "I have always dreamt about opening a real polish restaurant, a restaurant that Polish people would not be ashamed of..."

3 comments:

miss suzanne said...

i think you should embrace it, and learn how to say something sassy in polish in response to all of your new friends (something like, "sorry, but i'm afraid these petty, earthly concerns do not interest me as i am a philosopher.")DO NOT ask about the rocket to the sun (sent at night) or the submarine screen door.

you know, i used to bemoan the fact that i have such a kind, open face, the kind of face that would invariably drive people i hardly knew to ask me for such things as advice and money. but then one day it struck me: i have never been in close proximity to a transvestite without s/him making conversation with me... and this made me feel a lot better. go arendt-ish and enjoy what other people are making of you.

THE END

Anonymous said...

You don't have so much of a kind, open face as you do a nice slavic moon face, dear. The Russians beat Napolean and now our genes beat their genes. Ha!
Mom

M said...

Suzanne: commentastic. Damn, you're funny. And right: I also never fail to get a "God bless you" on the subway.

Suz and Mom: wide open face.