Monday, June 04, 2007

Best/Worst job ever

The very Form of a job. The structural realities of working laid bare. Not working: having a job. I spend most of my time ruminating on what 13 years in the workforce has taught me and marvelling at my prowess. I know how to manipulate four articles of office-appropriate attire into a seemingly different outfit every day. I know how to stretch a small assignment into a two-hour preoccupation. I know how to make up an answer to my own question because the boss isn't around. I know how to find one more thing to do when I have completely run out of tasks. I know how to look busy when I am not. I know how to kill at least half an hour before looking at the clock again. I know how to entertain myself in my own head when there is no music, no conversation, and no challenge. It's the wage worker's algorithm: timetheft in direct proportion to underpay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I celebrate your jobette. It's the only employment amonst my three adult children.
Mom

M said...

Two and a half unemployed, and three homeless. Well done, Mom.

Anonymous said...

Five little words, honey: vinho verde by the case.
Mom

Christian said...

Homeless and jobless are very chic for the summer of '07.

That's an interesting way of putting it seeing as how we're all actually getting something done - property investment, becoming a doctor and travelling every square inch of Europe. It also speaks to the support we recieve for our endeavors.