Sunday, July 12, 2009

Francis Bacon at the Met

I can't believe I waited this long to go to the Met. Admission is $20 suggested donation, and they don't give you any attitude if you only hand over $2, although that didn't stop me from hastily adding "I just paid rent with a credit card!"

I could spend every Saturday in the Greek and Roman sculpture garden alone, but there is wing after wing of breathtaking gallery space (I recognize a lot of the sponsors' names - Kravis, Astor - from my work), opulent drawing rooms showcasing 18th century furniture, stone buildings stitched together by sunlit atria. We were there to see the Francis Bacon exhibit, which absolutely floored me (I guess I am finally learning to look at art), but get this uncanny tidbit: he often incorporated the image of the screaming nurse's shattered glasses from Battleship Potemkin into his portraits (it's at the end of this clip, if you're that impatient).

No comments: