Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Scan this, pal

Didn't pre-clear US Customs on my way home since I took the red-eye and the customs office in Calgary was closed. So I did that in JFK for the first time. And I see this cheery poster:

Dear passengers, US-VISIT procedures are in effect. All visitors to the US will be fingerprinted and photographed. Passengers with privacy concerns can visit www.dhs.gov

The "photograph" being a little retinal scanner. Just about lost my shit. Stood there while the guy processed my paperwork, looking at the biometric-gathering machines on the counter, and wondered How can I argue this? That I am a resident, not a visitor? That I should have pre-cleared in Canada and wouldn't have had to do this? That I simply refuse?

Fortunately, I wasn't asked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know. My index fingertip was scanned at Disneyworld last week.

I mean, really, Marianne.

Elizabeth