Friday, April 24, 2009

Trouble: brewing

When I moved to the United States, I made a tactical decision to lay off the political stuff for a while, to "bend with the breeze" as my most trusted anarchist friend put it, and that meshed well with losing my mind for a bit, what with all the fabulous cocaine parties, trying to adjust and readjust and figure out who I was and whom I wanted to hang out with and what I wanted to do. But recently that same anarchist friend was in town, and we ended up in proximity to the very political things that I had been avoiding, and I got sucked right back in. So that now, while I haven't forgotten how not to get arrested and deported, I certainly remember that I can galvanize a room full of people, and shut down senior faculty's suggestion that we all sit tight for a while and wait for these things to resolve themselves, and get everyone riled up and ready to don a ski mask (jk, fuck violence and situationism).

And - let's speak even more narcissistically for a moment - it's made me realize how important that all of is to me, how repressive it was for me to be neglecting it for three years, and the toll that was taking psychologically. I always know well what I do not stand for - status-grubbing academics, assholes, fashion, name-dropping, politically demotivated "critique", scene-ism - but I had forgotten the importance of participating in the things that are important.

1 comment:

Christian said...

Live for the ski mask; say it's for change.

Getting a bunch of people to convince each other that they have more control over their lives than they actually do is fun. Like a themed party.