Monday, April 27, 2009

New York math

Now, I figured out, shortly after moving here (I was sixteen - I got drunk lots), that any place in New York was safe, insofar as any place at all, you could hail a cab, twenty-four hours a day, which would take you to your doorstep, where your doorman would see you in. I stopped taking cabs after a while when I realized that I had no money, no money at all, and inasmuch as I couldn't afford my rent, my tuition, or a $1.50 cup of coffee, I couldn't afford a seven dollar cab ride. Speaking of coffee, I have gone through flush phases of buying my coffee at Starbucks or at Joe, and buying it from carts, where it costs precisely seventy-five cents. At this point, the MTA only runs one train per track per twenty-four hour period, so taking cabs has become de rigeur, especially since at my neighbourhood pubs (I have six or seven), I only pay about two dollars a drink, which leaves me drunk and still flush.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Marinator!!

Kate and/or Mike said...

16, then 33, how old are you now? Happy birthday!

Christian said...

Happy 30th Brain! MUAH!

M said...

Thanks everyone!