Monday, April 06, 2009

535,600 minutes for the price of 443,783

Rent update. Remember how I filed that rent complaint? Well six weeks later I called the city to ask them what was happening with that, and they told me that it hadn't even been assigned to a case worker yet, and that the process takes six months to a year. Oof. So I wrote my landlord an email about how hey, I could get a cheaper apartment than this these days, and then you will have to find a new tenant, and you'll only be able to get $1450 for the place (which is what the new tenant downstairs moved in at, after the place sat empty for six months), and wouldn't you rather just sign a new lease with me for that amount, so that at least the place doesn't sit empty for a month, and he said yes, young lady, he said "what a beautifully written email" (no really), he said "I will talk to a broker and we will work out what is best" and the next day he offered me $1450 rent. That's THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS less, a month. I win.

6 comments:

Not Available said...

yay for winning!

Now, what are you going to buy me with all the money you'll be saving. Actually don't tell me, I want it to be a surprise.

M said...

I was thinking of buying you a couch for my apartment.

Not Available said...

That's exactly what I wanted!

I can hardly wait.

Lindsey said...

OMG, I thought you were going to say you went to see Rent. I was so excited and jealous!

But now Im just excited. For you!

Good job young lady.

Kate and/or Mike said...

Yes, well now she can afford to (go see Rent).

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

It pays to be persistent. And that's why I bug our utilities companies ALL THE TIME. Way to go cuz.