Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Real Widows of the UES

"I need address labels. Do you print address labels? I need new ones; my husband died on Tuesday. Just my name. How many? Oh, I don't know. It doesn't matter. No, that's not enough. What font? Just regular. No, not that one. It's so blocky. No, not that one either. Just normal. Normal font. I don't like any of these. Are you going to take down my address? 111 87th street. Apartment 4N. N as in nothing. Mind you I don't know how long I'll be living there, with the rent what it is now. My landlord says it's legal to increase it so much every year. I don't know how I'm going to pay that all by myself. When can I get these? It takes that long? Alright, I'll come back next week. I have to come all the way down here? No, don't deliver them. I'll come in."

No comments: