Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Why are there no bakeries in this town?

On the Upper East Side, there are a lot of conversations about "the neighbourhood."

"They were on Second (ave) for thirty years, now they're on Third."
"Is the construction of the new subway line disrupting business?"
"I live right around the corner but I've never come in here."
"It's such a shame - the landlord is basically forcing them out."
"Have you seen that new place on 85th?"

Today, in line behind an elderly couple at Orwasher's kosher bakery, I overheard them gossiping to the man behind the counter about some place in the hood, "Do you know they just sold the business? Just like that. I don't know why they would do that - they were very popular, they must have been making a lot of money."

And the young man replied, "Well, I'll never sell this place. Then again, I just work the cash register, so I probably can't."

No comments: