Friday, November 17, 2006

You heard me

So I am a very few hours away from a big trip home (10 whole days)! Literally: it is 1 am because I stayed up all night with my roommate watching S&tC (how apropos) and drinking vinho verde and talking about this city. This city. It's unreal. To quote a fragment of a conversation about me the other night between Grace and our friend:

Grace: She's not bitter!
Friend: No, I said the city bit her.

I've travelled, you know, and it's nothing like here. Roommate and I talked about the fact that when we go home and try to tell people like this, it can only come off as outstandingly pretentious. Ah, well.

Looking forward to seeing the Calgary and Edmonton humans, of course. But I am addicted to this place and it will not be hard to return.

Because, for example, a woman can walk down the street and have a 100 decibel conversation on her cell phone saying "Let's get something straight here, this conversation is between you and me. You hear me? I don't want anybody else hearin about this. No one." And there is nothing inconsistent about it.

That, and the hobos. Best hobos here in the whole wide world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm always anon...too lazy to sign in...too tired from cleaning up 2 year old's poo...oh dear, my mind is starting to ooze out of my ear.

Anyway, love the blog! I am leaving for s'toon on Tuesday and I'm going to pick up the books you suggested. Thanks! Have fun at home. Say hi to the family for us. Coming to Dad's 50th??? I never thought of that...hope to see you there! Ever been to Magnolia's Bakery???