Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Takin' it from the streets

One night after a few glasses at Loup, on my way to the subway home, I came upon an abandoned coffee table on 13th street. Beautiful, solid wood construction and just like new. I carried that table up and down stairs, through subway turnstiles, onto the 1 train and off again, and up two flights in my building, where I knocked on my neighbour's door (well after midnight, I am sure) and asshhkked her if she wanted it. She did!

The other night after a nighttime stroll my friend and I came across an abandoned Billy bookshelf on Chambers street. It was covered in dust but in surprisingly good condition, and the former owner had even gone to the trouble of bundling the shelves with twine. I pulled all the shelf pegs out and stuck them in my pocket, and we carried it off into the night. Some twenty blocks later, my neighbour had a new bookshelf, too.

12 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wow, you're a really nice neighbour!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kate and/or Mike said...

Thanks for getting this stuck in my head:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54lfxiid_w
(Which makes me think of "The 40 Year Old Virgin," which makes me think of "Glee.")

M said...

That was on purpose, Kate. The blog is looking at YOU!

Lins, that's nothing - I got her the apartment.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Marinator!!

M said...

Thanks, Doug!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lisa said...

Yay! I appreciate your continuing good work in furnishing my apt. Lol.

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

Look at you all scavenging the used furniture. Love it!

Unknown said...

U're a great neighbor to have! Just came across ur blog thru the "next blog" clicks, very nice, will b back :-)