Thursday, May 21, 2009

106 Greenwich St

This is my building. I finally found out when it was built: 1900. "The tenement buildings along Greenwich Street were dark and noisy because of the Ninth Avenue El, which ran along Greenwich Street. While sitting on the fire escape, one could almost touch the train tracks. When the el was torn down sunshine shone in the apartments. The building at 106 Greenwich Street is still standing, and its apartments continue to be occupied by tenants."


That's where I live, right there. Can you believe it? No you can't. It's pure fantasy. Like this story about someone who used to live at my address.

THIEVES ROB A TAILOR'S SHOP IN MAIDENLANE - A FREE FIGHT WITH PISTOLS IN A FIRST WARD DEN.
New York Times (1878, 20 October, p. 5)

[click to enlarge]

Detective brothers? Pantaloons? Low groggeries? I love how people would just "free fight" the cops.

2 comments:

Christian said...

I love how they were all such bad shots that one dude finally had to pull a knife. He forgot, though: never bring a knife to a gun butt-end fight.

Aaron, Kate, Will and Wyatt said...

It's like La Loche but somehow more picturesque.