Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Cosi Fan Tutti

Katherine: lucky me.
in truth, I do like wedding(s) (receptions) quite a bit.
can't imagine being the center of attention though.
all that hullaballoo.
me: i feel the exact same way, on both counts
Katherine: that myth about the wedding day being the occasion that girls dream about their whole lives really chaps my hide.
its a story propagated by lame rom-coms and family tv.
me: yeah, i have NEVER thought about it
that's not true:
i have actually tried to think about it
given the way in which that fantasy is described as so incredibly enjoyable for women
and couldn't do it
like, "hmm.. okay, what is there? flowers? uh, roses maybe. or violets. or tulips, actually. or daisies. wait, are some of those wrong? like, out of style or something?"
or... dress: okay, let's see...
not.. ugly..
i guess it will depend on the style at the time
and i like simple things
wedding band, that I can do:
a simple gold ring.
am i done?
Katherine: nope -
cake, reception, wedding party,
decorations, centre pieces,
(center)
speeches
music
me: oh right
Katherine: dancing? no dancing?
overall colour scheme.
venuw
buffet or sit down meal?
open bar? twonie bar?
where will you register?
me: what?
Katherine: will you go on a honey moon?
me: oh, yeah - gifts!
Katherine: who is planning your stagette?
showers?
what about your wedding lingerie?
me: actually, if i end up marrying todd, i will totally let him do all this shit, because he cares far more about style, and he is good at it
hahaha
Katherine: sounds good.
me: EXCELLENT QUESTIONS, Katherine
Katherine: I have been to many weddings.
(as have you_
me: also, what colour underwear do you wear?
Katherine: it is far too much to worry about.
blue
me: and how drunk do you get?
Katherine: borrowed, blue underwear
and you aren't allowed to eat cause you've dropped 10% of your body weight just to fit in the dress
me: and should you take your anxiety shit before or after you put the dress on?
Katherine: yes
me: and what colour will the ceiling be?
Katherine: cause apparently you can't go to the bathroom without the help of your brides mades
maides
afternoon or evening?
how much time in between?
me: and should you invite an odd or even number of people?
Katherine: when will you do your photographs?
where?
me: lol
you are good at this
Katherine: what should the giflts be for the wedding party?
me: you should be a wedding planner
gifts for the goddam wedding party?
Katherine: I would do it just to wear the head set
yep
flasks for the men
gift certificates to a spa for women
me: that's so Scarborough [Ontario]
Katherine: something like that.
me: ew
no
Katherine: something engraved is usually customary
like a beer stein or something
me: acrylic tips and hair extensions for everyone!
Katherine: so when the marriage fails, people can hide those favours at the back of the cupboard when the former bride/groom come over
me: ha
whereas if the marriage succeeds, they will drink from their engraved stein every day
and silently toast your lvoe
HA
Katherine: how do satisfy your mother's attempts to fulfill her own unmet expectations of her wedding?
me: i don't think my mother gives a rats ass
but let me tell you this:
Katherine: while simultaneously pleasing the mother inlaw regarding her propensity for orange napkins?
me: if i have to do all this
i want a big ass budget
Katherine: A big budget.

10 comments:

Kate and/or Mike said...

Sounds fun - can I come?

(And how do you accommodate guests who invite themselves?)

M said...

Come to what?

Kate and/or Mike said...

Come to the wedding Hypothetical! I love roses/tulips/daisies! I love buffet/sit down! I love dj/band! I love white gown/sari! I love grand venue/backyard! I even love blue underwear. Party time!

Anonymous said...

For two women who haven't spent any time thinking about it, you sure have spent a lot of time thinking about it.
Mom

Christian said...

My question is, how do you have a wedding that's balanced? In other words, how do you make it proudly practical while not seeming cheap to people and while not being a slave to popular banal orthodoxy? Borrowed, blue, wtf? Treasure hunts are fun too, but might be too much when piled onto planning and executing wedding. The number of people I know of that have taken the "elope/party for the people" route grows each year.

Lindsey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M said...

Kate and Christian/Lindsey, you are both clearly going to beat me to it. May I suggest you hold your special day at the Grand Prospect Hall?

Lindsey said...

Sure,I'm up for anything. As long as I get to have a life size version of myself in cake form.

Like this;

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_g_l3e96xJ8M/RyIoZJoW5-I/AAAAAAAAADw/vUXUsU75JXg/pic29723.jpg

Lindsey said...

Ive never really been one of those girls that always dreamed about my "big" day.

I wonder that's because my Mom thinks I should just get married at City Hall?

Christian said...

Hey, the Grand Prospect Hall has free parking too! City hall probably doesn't.