Monday, January 29, 2007

I have a new roommate, and no table manners

So Grace moved out and a new roommate moved in. She is a young, sweet-tempered woman from India. She Skypes with the family back home from 10 pm until 2 am most nights, which makes me feel like less of a skid for keeping similar hours.

Shortly after she moved in, she saw me eating heat-and-eat Indian food from Trader Joe's, so later that week she made me a real dinner. Tandoori chicken, which involves sautéed onions and peppers which she did in the convection oven of all things, since she (like the dorm authorities) didn't know about the electric frying pan, and raita and nan. Was it good. She had set plates on the table, but no cutlery or napkins, so in an effort to be helpful, I jumped up and got us some - and she graciously accepted hers. Then she proceeded to eat with her hands, using the nan, and saving the washing up for after dinner, and I tried to conversate normally while shooting sheepish glances at the idle fork taking up room on the side of her plate.

Anyway, I came home tonight after a long day, starving, and there was spinach and tofu, chickpea salad, and spicy chicken sitting on the table, which she insisted I partake of. Then we had chocolate cake and hazelnut tea, and talked about how people who simply eat to live have something profoundly psychologically wrong with them.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you play "Grace is Gone" by Dave Matthews when she moved out?

I've had similar cutlery experiences with Mike. I've gone for the fork at his house while everyone else tore pieces of pita bread to pick up the food. But also, he's used his hands for hot roast beef sandwiches while me and Mom have reached for the ol' knife and fork.

Kate

Anonymous said...

To eliminate the disparity in your cultural eating habits, find skiddiest common denominator and start from there.
You should both have your next meal together with your hands tied behind your back.
I can picture you trying to tear your nan by whipping your head back and forth like fanny with her fuzzy babies. And after dinner putting chap stick up your nose from dipping your nostrils in hot sauce.
Christian

M said...

Hahahahahahahaha!