Monday, December 18, 2006

The Trial

Terrible book, but if you read it, you'll have some idea of the kind of circular, inconsistent, no-progress, crazy-making bureaucratic crap I've been dealing with over the past few weeks, over every single aspect of my life (bank, phone, housing, school, job etc. etc. etc.). Josef K. had to come to terms with the fact that he couldn't beat them at their own game, but at least, mercifully, they kill him in the end.

So yes, I have a new job - teaching for a community college affiliated with SUNY. The woman I applied to was extremely enthusiastic upon hearing from me. The interview consisted of her telling me all the reasons I wouldn't want the job, then pleading with me to still take it. And she made it sound all Dangerous Minds like - me and a bunch of Black and Latino kids "who in the past have had mixed academic success." In Yonkers. Logic.

The interview was way up in Westchester county, so I got to take the train out of Grand Central, where they have this incredible sound and light show over the holidays. The acoustics are amazing and the classical music piece starts with the brass section making a sound very much like a train's horn blaring - so a propos. And they kaleidoscope holiday images all over the ceiling and walls. As one NY blogger put it "Another reason for people not to look where they're going."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yahoo!! Congrats and happy holidays ... or Merry Christmas to our offended interlopers!

Glad to hear of the job, it will take away from the reading time and the NYC experience in some ways, but add much more in others. Can't wait to hear the updates.

I can understand her position on talking you out of the job - not the 'Dangerous Minds' aspects mind you - but the fact that they get such a high quality person ~ who has such better things to do with her time ... :-)

In my third year of teaching I must say that I love it, but that it has impacted me negatively in the thesis department as well as in the wallet.

Enjoy the job; in the end nothing makes you more comfortable with the material than delivering it at the front of a group of people and engaging in it with those new to it.

Ciao

John

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you got a teaching job and all, but what really warmed my heart about this post is that you mentioned the brass section.

Congratulations!
Laurel

Anonymous said...

Congratulations sir! I know this will just be more work but it is great news.

Andrew

M said...

Thanks, guys! Laurel, I wish you could hear it...

John, don't worry - the pay sucks out here too.

Anonymous said...

John? Who's John? I don't know any John. Not any John with a computer, anyway.
Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mom!

(Hi, John!)

Kate