Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The day

Returned my videos to the only video store below Houston, apparently - took me four months to find it. It's in Battery Park City, which is a very upscale neighbourhood west of here, a world apart from the peddlers and steaming sewer grates of Fulton St. Instead, it has cute gelato places and cafés, gyms facing the waterfront, upscale Italian groceries. Go on a weekend and watch the trim, L. L. Bean-wearing yuppie 42-year-olds take their toddlers to the park. Go on a weekday and watch the Filipina nannies take them.





I then went up to 34th to Macy's, and took a picture of the Empire State Building nearby. It really is spectacular, non? Despite its fancy holiday windows, Macy's only has half a floor of toys. The rest is dedicated to women's clothing, shoes, cosmetics, etc. Twas boring, but the escalators are perfect.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. I am totally going to steal the Empire pic because the one I took doesn't even come close. Yours will look much better in the scrpbook and nobody will be the wiser. I've been reading the archives for a laugh...this is seriously well written. LOVE IT! And it's nice to see that it is um, how to say, Le Nabat friendly. I have seen the F word used so I will now feel free to type it without all the annoying $#%#. I have this picture of all of us in a row oh about 100 years ago...M you were maybe approaching a year so do the math on the other ages...Matthew, Me, Christian, Bob, Derek, etc...It seems like a million years ago. Who would have thought Auntie would be telling you to quit fighting over the internet. I'm sure I can come up with a better cliche then "My, how times have changed"...just a second. Uh, um...nope. Nothing. This at home Mum thing doesn't do a lot for a persons intelligence. I wonder if I can remember my phone number? What's a verb again?