Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A tale of two delis

Admin I sit next to at work: "That place is kinda pricey."
Me: "I don’t know, I can get a bagel, lox and cream cheese there for $2.95."
Admin: "It’s probably cheaper at the Bagel Buffet."
Me: "Nope. Don’t believe you. $2.95 is cheap. Not lox cream cheese, lox and cream cheese."
Admin: "Nah, Bagel Buffet would be cheaper."
Me: "Which one is that, anyway?"
Admin: "13th and 6th. We used to call it the smelly deli. They had a vent to the outside so you could smell their bacon all day."
Me: "Weird, I’ve never seen that place and I'm at that intersection all the time."
Admin: "You could walk right by it and miss it."
Me: "Well I still don’t think it’s gonna be cheaper."
Admin: "Hey, [office assistant], call Bagel Buffet please and aks them how much is a bagel with cream cheese and lox."
Office Assistant: "I don’t know - you have to habla espanol at Bagel Buffet."
Admin: "Don't worry, they speak American dolla."
[calls]
Office assistant: "Oooh, you're not gonna be happy, [admin]."
Admin: "What did they say?"
Office assistant: "They said $7.50."
Me: "Hah."

7 comments:

Not Available said...

Nice to see some real work getting done, for a change.

lisa said...

Oh snap!

Kate and/or Mike said...

Tuesday, May 11th, my ass.

M said...

There's a lot in the chute and this one's not time-sensitive. Jesus.

Kate and/or Mike said...

What? You mean you kept us chewing our nails for this long when you had a post loaded and ready to go? Sacrilege! (Said the pot. Not that I have any ready posts. I just haven't posted in a long time.)

Christian said...

I agree with Mee-Hong. Mook sai donk unday sakow ting sai loo pay yo ma chua pai muaa boong gai yay, sai sai!

Anonymous said...

Christian, you don't even speak Chinese for god's sake.
J